About Sask Wheat
The Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission (Sask Wheat) is a producer-led organization established to grow the province’s wheat industry.
That wheat is a sustainable, proﬁtable and internationally competitive crop capturing the benefits for Saskatchewan farmers and the community.
To provide leadership in identifying and supporting research, market development and advocacy that contributes to proﬁtable and sustainable wheat production for Saskatchewan farmers.
More specifically, the roles of the commission are to:
- Assist in developing and promoting domestic and international markets;
- Encourage, conduct and disseminate research on production, market development, processing and consumption;
- Advise governments on wheat policy, research and development;
- Communicate knowledge about wheat production, promotion, consumption, market development and policy initiatives;
- Encourage the development and production of market-driven products;
- Promote equitable partner and stakeholder relationships in the wheat industry.
The Saskatchewan Wheat Development Plan Regulations (RRS A-15.21 Reg 14) apply to all persons engaged in the production and/or marketing of wheat in Saskatchewan, and also govern the establishment of Sask Wheat.
Provincial legislation governing the Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission was passed June 7, 2013. Minister Lyle Stewart announced the establishment of the Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission on June 20, 2013. The first elected Board of Directors took office January 13, 2014.
Check-off collection became mandatory on August 1, 2013. The check-off rate for wheat grown in the province is $0.52 per net tonne. The check-off is refundable upon request. The Saskatchewan wheat check-off collection is in addition to any provincial or federal check-off currently in effect.
Check-off dollars administered by the commission will go toward research and market development initiatives that improve wheat varieties, grow their marketability and provide higher value to producers.
About Sask Wheat
Saskatchewan Variety Performance Group
The Saskatchewan Variety Performance Group is an informal group made up of stakeholders interested in variety performance testing in Saskatchewan.view all